In our last episode we talked about how, after a LONG time, real-life, in-person networking events are a thing once more. Some of you might be full of joy at the idea, but an equal number of you will be horrified that you’re going to have to get out there once again.
So how can you make the best out of these opportunities and put yourself and your business out there in a way that still reflects your true, authentic self?
To help you out, my guest today is Carrie Sharpe, a Communication Consultant, Speaker, and Co-Owner of He Says, She Says. She is also the co-host of the Speaking with Ryan & Carrie Sharpe podcast. With over twenty-five years of experience and training, Carrie coaches clients in communication and public speaking skills.
We talk about how in-person networking (and pitching) should be like courtship. And don’t worry, introverts – we’ve got your back!
In-Person Networking as Courting with Carrie Sharpe
Topics covered include:
- The work that Carrie does alongside her husband, Ryan, and how they serve their clients
- What a networking plan is, and why you should be thinking about creating one
- How to approach planning for events of different sizes – from smaller in-person networking events, all the way up to multi-day conferences
- The way to build relationships at events without seeming gross – including how to create your ‘elevator pitch’, and the importance of leveraging referrals from the people you connect with
- How to navigate large in-person networking events if you’re an introvert – even down to where to stand in a large room
- Tactics to make the most out of the connections you make at events – making sure that we’re engaging in dialogue and conversation rather than word-vomiting
- Why Carrie doesn’t like to be pitched and prefers to be courted – with an example of what she means!
I hope you found this episode useful and that it has given you some tactics which you can put into your next IRL events. And if you’re going to create your own networking plan, take a screenshot of this episode in your podcast player and tag me and Carrie on IG @angie_trueblood and @ryancarriesharpe.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Get immediate access to Angie’s Pitch Like a Pro masterclass and learn how to leverage podcast guest interviews as a way to connect with new audiences and grow your network.
- Book a discovery call or a 1:1 Fix My Pitch strategy session
- Follow Angie on Instagram – and submit your screenshots when you’re ready to Go Pitch Yourself
- Listen to Go Pitch Yourself episode 50: Making Connections in Real Life… Again!
- Listen to episode 35 of the Speaking with Ryan & Carrie Sharpe podcast: Planning 2021 With Flexibility
- Visit RyanCarrieSharpe.com and check out the Speaking Society, with a FREE first month’s membership
- Follow Ryan and Carrie on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Listen to the Speaking with Ryan & Carrie Sharpe podcast
Now it’s time for you to get out there and Go Pitch Yourself! Be sure to screenshot this episode and tag me on Instagram @angie_trueblood and let me know that you are ready to #gopitchyourself! I’ll add your post to my story and help you spread the word!
Can’t wait to connect again!
Feel like you need a little support in getting started pitching yourself?
>>> Get a free downloadable version of my roadmap for podcast pitching success
Follow & Review in Apple Podcasts
Are you following the podcast? If not, I’d love for you to do that today so you don’t miss ANY episodes. Click here to follow via Apple Podcasts!
And, if you are SUPER pumped about the show, I would be so thankful if you would pop over to Apple Podcasts and leave a review. Crazy enough, reviews help other folks find my podcast and they help me get a real sense of what you love about the show.
Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Much love, friend.
Special thanks to Steve Woodward at PodcastingEditor.com for handling all the behind-the-scenes tech pieces of production.