We’ve likely heard of sales funnels, but did you know there are podcast sales funnels, too? Candidly, if you have a podcast and are using it to grow a business, it should have some elements of an effective funnel in place. Lately, though, I’ve seen an interesting twist on how hosts are using podcasts, which includes them hosting interviews so they can invite ‘guests’ on who they would love to work with. Basically, they’re using the show as a way to get time with someone who would otherwise not spend 30 minutes talking to them.
I don’t have any issue with using this as a strategy. In fact, I’ve advocated for some podcasters using it. What I DO have an issue with is using your show as a way to funnel people closer to working with you and not truly being interested in showcasing their expertise or story for your audience.
And, I have an issue with it because I was recently stuck in a podcast sales funnel. Luckily, I managed to escape and am sharing all the ins and outs of my experience with you.
In this episode, I show you how to recognize when you’ve stumbled into a podcast sales funnel. I also explain how to evaluate if the guest visibility opportunity is still a good use of your time.
How I Escaped A Podcast Sales Funnel
Topics covered include:
- My recent experiences with podcast sales funnels and how I managed to escape them
- Why the audience is of little or no importance if a podcast host’s primary goal is to convert guests into clients
- The red flags to be on the lookout for if you think you’re in a podcast sales funnel
- How to tell if the visibility opportunity on offer is still worth your time
Have you ever found yourself in a podcast sales funnel? If you have, find me on LinkedIn @angietrueblood and spill the beans! I might even feature your story in a future episode.
The Podwize Group’s resources mentioned in this episode:
- Learn more about the different levels of The Podwize Group’s services – including our Concierge Pitching Service and Jumpstart Intensive
- Connect with Angie on LinkedIn
- Listen to Go Pitch Yourself Ep. 49: Podcast Swaps, Pitching, & Producing with Danny Ozment
- Listen to Go Pitch Yourself Ep. 93: How to Use Podcasting for Business with Megan Dougherty
Podcasts mentioned in this episode:
- Check out my Podcast Love, Jeremy Alland and Julie Bruene’s Your Doctor Friends podcast
- Listen to Part 1 of Why I Don’t Believe in Hustle, on Kate Kordsmeier’s Success With Soul podcast
Now it’s time for you to get out there and Go Pitch Yourself! Be well and be visible, my friend!
Follow & Review in Apple Podcasts
Are you following the podcast? If not, I’d love for you to do that today so you don’t miss ANY episodes. Click here to follow via Apple Podcasts!
And, if you are SUPER pumped about the show, I would be so thankful if you would pop over to Apple Podcasts and leave a review. Crazy enough, reviews help other folks find my podcast and they help me get a real sense of what you love about the show. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Much love, friend.
Special thanks to Steve Woodward at PodcastingEditor.com for handling all the behind-the-scenes tech pieces of production.